This bag is a new design of mine that I've named the Tulip bag. It measures 8 inches high and has a 7 inch diameter. The bottom sits flat as I angled the fabric when I sewed it together. It's just the right size to hold my sock knitting projects. I've listed this Tulip Bag in my Etsy Shop. I'll be making more of these soon.
It was fairly simple to make.
Using two fat quarters of fabric, I cut 6 strips that were 4 1/2 inches wide and made a triangle at each end. After I sewed the strips together, I folded the fabric in half so that the bag is self lined.
I added six tabs to the top and made a half inch cord from the remaining fabric.
The bag took about two hours from start to finish.
The inspiration for this bag came from a 1950's magazine picture. After seeing the picture of a similar bag, I spent a lot of time thinking about the easiest way to make a useful bag. I think that I succeeded.
Also, this weekend, I made another Buttercup Bag. This is also in my Etsy shop. The fabric for this one is a recycled napkin that I found at a local Thrift store. The fabric was in excellent condition and I was able to make the bag using only one napkin. To finish it properly, I made a fabric covered button. I haven't done any of those it awhile. I forgot just how much they add to the custom look of a project.
I have 7 more napkins so I can make several bags with this cheery yellow and blue fabric.
I worked on several knitting projects this week, too. My sweater is progressing nicely and I did several rows on the blanket that I'm knitting.
On Friday, I had a wonderful opportunity to share my blog with a fourth grade class at my school. Their teacher is doing a unit on writing and has the students learning to write blog posts to improve their writing skills. Here's the link to the class blog. I continue to learn from children. Their approach is always fresh and new and it's a pleasure to listen to their ideas.
Labels: buttons, fabric uses, New Project, purses, Sewing, sock tote bag